S2 Engineering (S2) provided materials testing services to Caltrans District 8 in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. S2 provided all materials testing service in the district for three years.
S2 worked on multiple projects covered by the Caltrans Barstow Lab. These projects include:
- Route 138 Widening and Realignment Project in Hesperia / Pinon Hill
- Route 247 Resurface Existing Pavement
- I-15 Median Widening Project north of Barstow
- Big Pine Creek Bridge on SR 173 – Emergency Repair
- I-40 Emergency Bridge Replacement Project – Marble Wash Bridge to Mountain Wash Bridge
- Route 330 Slope Protection Project north of Highland
- Route 95 Pavement Rehabilitation Project
- I-40 Fennar Bridge Replacement Project
- I-40 Emergency Bridge Replacement Project (Phase I)
- I-215 / 60/ 91 Connector Project in Riverside
- I-215 Segment 3 Widening project in San Bernardino
S2’s field staffs worked closely with multiple field inspectors for these projects. They communicate with the field inspectors regarding schedule, location, and construction activity for sampling and testing. They are thoroughly familiar with the projects, ongoing activities, and Caltrans inspection staff.
Route 138 Widening Project required the complete closure of the roadway for three months during the summer. Caltrans made a request to S2 to provide a Caltrans-certified fully-equipped field laboratory to expedite the sampling and testing of soil and aggregate in this project. S2 got the proper approval, coordinated with the R.E to determine the field location, mobilized its resources, moved its trailer and laboratory equipment, coordinated with Caltrans Independent Assurance Testing group, and had the field laboratory certified and ready to use by Caltrans in less than a week of the initial request.